God's World

What in the world is God doing this week?

Friday, October 27, 2006

The Lie of “Conversations with God”

I teach a lot about prayer. I guess that’s because I believe it is something we need a lot more of, and something that tends to get neglected in our lives.

When I came across Rosalind Rinker’s little book, Prayer: Conversing with God I found the conversational style of prayer she describes to be very freeing, very refreshing.

Conversation with God brings a sense of peace within the intimacy of a personal relationship. I don’t have to use fancy language or sophisticated formulae to connect with God, to let God know the tiniest details of my life and to experience the assurance of a God who cares and wants to be involved in my life.

So, I was eager to become acquainted with Neal Donald Walsch’s Conversations with God. I was appalled at what I read.

In short, Walsch’s CWG is new-age drivel that seeks to reveal that wonder of wonders, I myself am God.

Gee, all that time spent in prayer was just a conversation with myself. What a comforting thought!

Now, I can with supreme confidence and armed with CNN’s “How to Become a Guitar God” air-guitar my way into creating a more perfectly Ed-centered world! Better yet, I’ll just whip out my old Telecaster and make some real creation noise… get ready for the Big Twang!

Sarcasm aside, Walsch’s “I am God” theology is the logical end of the self-centered culture that has found such fertile ground in America. There is no more dangerous thinking in the world today.

Now CWG is being made into a movie. You can see the trailer at comingsoon.net, and read a review by Kathy Cano Murillo at the Louisville Courier-Journal. I guess Hollywood, unable to deal with the fact that most people have a hunger to be people of faith has decided to do an end run, offering the message that since we are all God, all we have to do is have faith in ourselves and everything will be OK.

I’m sorry, but that is bull.

I am not God.

Neither is Neale.

Neither are you.

But we all do have a need for God. Our lives will continue to have an aching emptiness at the center until we acknowledge that need and choose surrender to the God who loves us in Christ Jesus. (For more about that surrender, see my other blog at JesusWorld).

We find our spiritual center when we realize that there is a God out there who, almighty and infinite, cares intimately for us, and then hold that God at the center of our lives. Jesus Christ’s great love for us can fill the aching emptiness as nothing else can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home